Free or Low-Cost Internet Options During COVID-19
May 25, 2020
With more and more services moving online, many families are looking for reliable and cost-effective ways to access the internet. The following services are available to families living on a low income.
Flexible payment options and discounts
Below is a list of flexible payment options and discounted internet plans:
- Rogers, Bell, Telus and TekSavvy customers who do not already have unlimited internet access and are experiencing financial uncertainty as a result of COVID-19 will not face penalties if they exceed their data limit. These companies have temporarily removed data limits for their home internet customers from March 14 – June 30. These changes have been automatically applied and customers are not required to take any action.
- Cogeco, Eastlink, iLeague Wireless, Kajeet, Shaw, and Xplornet are offering discounted internet data, Wi-Fi hotspots, or other services. Scroll down to the “Internet Connectivity” section of this page to learn about discounts being offered during the coronavirus outbreak.
Low-cost internet programs
Families living on a low income can participate in the following initiatives:
- Internet for Good, a Telus initiative, offers $9.95/month internet to Canadians nationwide who receive child benefit and have incomes under $31,120 per year.
- For the Connected for Success program, Rogers has partnered with non-profit and low-income housing providers to offer $9.99/month home internet to their tenants.
- The Connecting Families Initiative is a federally funded program for families who receive the maximum Canada Child Benefit. This program connects families to the internet for under $10/month. In order to participate, you need to have received a pre-qualification letter. If you would like more information or think you may be eligible but have not received a letter, call 1-800-328-6189 or go to their website.
Free Wi-Fi Hotspots
Bell, Telus, TBayTel and Shaw are offering free Wi-Fi hotspots where people can access the internet. This article offers more information about these hotspots, including maps of where you can find them.