Age Range: Prenatal - 3 months post-partum
Project: Healthy Start
A Program for Pregnant Women Needing Extra Support
By participating in this program, expectant women gain the skills, confidence and resources needed to improve their health during pregnancy, learn about self-care, better understand parenting issues and make choices that enhance their unborn child’s future growth and development.
Counseling, Referrals and Support
- Individualized and group supportive counseling through access to Public Health Nurses, Social Workers and Registered Dietitians.
- Referrals to programs and services that support childbearing women and young children.
- Each program site provides a warm, caring and inviting atmosphere where socializing, friendly support and lasting friendships are made.
- Provides a social network that promotes peer relationships amongst socially isolated expectant women to meet and support each other.
Prenatal Nutrition Support
- Provides expectant women with nutrition education and counseling, access to nutritious food and nutritional supplements.
- Each week participants are offered a food voucher so they can purchase healthy food for the home (eggs, milk and fruit).
- Upon arrival each Healthy Start participant receives a nutritious snack.
- Each week, a Public Health Nurse or Dietitian provides individual and group nutrition counseling focusing on health and nutritional needs during pregnancy. Educational topics include: food planning and shopping, making healthy food choices within a limited budget, nutrition and purchasing and preparing nutritious food.
Prenatal and Parenting Education
- Bonding with baby
- Breastfeeding information
- Exercise and physical activity
- Feeding baby
- Improving self-esteem
- Infant care
- Infant massage
- Labour and delivery
- Living in a smoke-free environment
- Nutrition education
- Personal care during pregnancy
- Prenatal care
- Preventing Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD’s)
- and many other relevant topics